Friday, November 19, 2010

Robin Robertson's "Comfort Loaf" = pure bliss

(take a peek inside here)

This arrived in the mail the other day. It's my very first vegan cookbook purchase, Robin Robertson's Vegan on the Cheap. I'm tickled to have it! Someone in one of my healthy eating email groups mentioned one of it's recipes with much fondness: Comfort Loaf. Curious, I did some googling and came to find out that it is one popular cookbook among the meat and dairy free! You can check out Robin's blog here.

Along with this one I also ordered Robin's Vegan Planet. I had to spend a little more to get free shipping after all!

Having the beloved Comfort Loaf recipe now at my disposal, I went right to work. I've only been a vegan for 2 weeks and yet I already had on hand everything the recipe called for, except for pinto beans. I subbed red kidney beans for those. Other than that I followed the recipe to a T.

My naturally non-stick skillet. Using it also includes an upper body workout what with the heaviness of it! Bonus!


Uncooked it looks like it couldn't end up being anything but very tasty!

How'd we like it?

It's amazing. I mean knock your socks off amazing. I want to eat slabs and slabs of it until I'm ill. Seriously, it makes me feel happy. Comfort loaf indeed. Jon wants me to make it EVERY week. He says its the best not-meatloaf he's ever had. Heck I never even had meatloaf this good! We didn't even put anything on it, no gravy, no ketchup, no nothin', it's that good. We can't stop talking about it.

Wanna see it?

Here it is below. It's not the loaf's fault, it was my stupid icky sticky loaf pan that I did grease. I turned the loaf pan upsidedown to gently let it slip out so it could cool. All of the edges stuck to the sticky layer of stuff on my non-stick loaf pan and the innards vacated onto the cooling rack. I don't blame the thing, I would have jumped out too. You see I used to use it to cook potatoes in oil in the oven (hello clogged arteries). The thing is going into the garbage. Shoulda used parchment paper. Jon said he's going to buy me a glass one. I've grown to love glass bakeware.

Totally my fault it looks like this. Old loaf pan is being replaced with a glass one a.s.a.p! No matter what it looks like, it was delicious!

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy to have this cookbook in my collection. Cheap and super tasty meals for the whole family? What more could I ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment