Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yummy Vegan Cornbread


In my collection of 'recipes to try', I had a Cornbread recipe from Dr. Neal Barnard's book, Food for Life.


Well let me tell you, it's delicious! It has no eggs, no dairy, it's low-fat and low-sugar. One thing it's NOT low on is taste! It's has the perfect level of moisture, its not crumbly, it has a nice soft yet crispy top crust, and tastes perfect! You'd never know it was a healthier version. The recipe only calls for 2 Tbsp. of oil, and 2 Tbsp. of sugar. I used organic cane sugar. Here's the recipe:

Cornbread

Makes 8 servings

This corn bread, made without eggs, is delicious and slightly moister than traditional cornbread.

1 1/2 cups soymilk
1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons raw sugar or other sweetener
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons oil
1 vegetable oil spray

Preheat oven to 425°F. *I chose 350°F and it was perfectly baked after 25 min.

Combine soy milk and vinegar and let stand. Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar or other sweetener, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add soymilk mixture and oil and stir until just blended. Spread batter into a lightly vegetable oil sprayed or non-stick 9″×9″ baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve hot.

We ate half of it and I used the rest to make a cornbread/whole wheat bread stuffing which I will share soon.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!

    This is very good bread. I made it for my mother, a Southern woman to her core, and she loved it. A vegan, I loved it as well.

    I didn't quite use 1 Tbs of oil (and for the remaining tablespoon and a piece, I simply used unsweetened applesauce). I also didn't quite use 2 Tbs of sugar (more like one generous tablespoon. My family is totally in the unsweet-cornbread camp, so anything that hints at sweet is a no-no. Although, I know that a little sugar is needed to offset the bitterness of the cornmeal.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Great idea about reducing the fat and sugar, that's always a step in the right direction. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I'm re-reading Eat to Live and will check out Food for Life. We're going to have this tonight with our vegan chili... cant wait! I was wondering, what are your top go-to/must-have cookbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some unpopped popcorn so I grounded it to make cornmeal. I also baked it as you suggested, 350 for 25 minutes. Came out perfect. I'm eating it as I type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a creative idea!! I'm so glad it worked out for you!

      Delete